I will make a project page soon for the restoration project.
The 15 dent reed seen best in this picture is rusty and has areas that look like black tar. I did some research on restoration practices and found a forum on [click link to see forum] Weavolution where Michael White suggested a sandblast shop.
This morning I found a shop and the owner is going to try a low pressure blast, on small area on one end of the reed, to see if the metal is strong enough to do without damage. I have my fingers crossed because the cost to sandblast is only about 40% of the cost of new reed.
See below more pictures.
So much to do and I am enjoying the journey!
Here is update June 29, 2015:
Reed was sandblasted and a protective finish was adhered to the restored steel reed.